No excuses from Federer
July 26, 2013 07:59:47 UK
Roger Federer said he would not be dwelling on his shock second-round defeat by world number 55 Daniel Brands at the Credit Agricole Suisse Open Gstaad.
A 6-3 6-4 reverse in just 66 minutes means the former world number one has now lost to players outside the top 50 in the rankings at his last three tournaments - including his Wimbledon exit at the hands of Ukraine's world number 116 Sergiy Stakhovsky.
The Swiss icon had no answer to Brands, who claimed the fourth top-10 win of his career and avenged for his defeat by the same opponent when they met in Hamburg last week.
Federer, who was playing his first match in Gstaad since lifting the trophy in 2004, said: "I got a few chances but finally couldn't take advantage of them.
"I wasn't consistent enough in the end. He was serving well and I couldn't do enough with my return."
Defeat in Gstaad follows Federer's German Tennis Championships setback in the last four against world number 144 Federico Delbonis.
The 31-year-old multiple Grand Slam winner said he had no complaints and refused to blame a recent back problem.
He added: "I'm still happy that I came to Gstaad this week. It was great being back here and the crowd gave me a fantastic welcome."
The five-time tournament winner is available to back at 12.00 in the outright betting for the upcoming 2013 US Open at Flushing Meadows in Queens, New York City.
Don't forget all of the fantastic markets we have to offer, including In-Play betting, can be accessed on your mobile phone with the new and improved bet365 On The Move.
View all Tennis betting