Ferrer hails Melbourne "miracle"
January 22, 2013 08:14:53 UK
David Ferrer described his astonishing five-set come-from-behind win against Nicolas Almagro in the 2013 Australian Open quarter-finals as a "miracle".
The fourth seed was staring down the barrel of a last-eight exit from Melbourne Park when Spanish countryman Almagro led by two sets and served for the match three times, but came through 4-6 7-5 7-6 (7-4) 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena.
The 30-year-old said: "It was a miracle. Nicolas had a lot of chances to win the match and I tried to fight every point That is my game. I know that players get nervous on the big points because that happens to me to."
The world number five will now take on either Novak Djokovic or Tomas Berdych, who meet in the day's second men's quarter-final around 0830 GMT.
The manner in which Almagro failed to get over the line brought back memories of defeats by Ferrer in Madrid and Cincinnati, in which he missed match points. It also denied the world number 11 a first Grand Slam semi-final.
The 27-year-old from Murcia denied he had a mental block against his compatriot and cited problems with his ankle and adductor.
"I don't want to think that it's a mentality problem," said Almagro. "If I have a mentality problem, I think I didn't win the first two sets."
Ferrer can be backed at 11.00 to go a stage further than the semi-finals last year and win a maiden French Open title in 2013, while he is also quoted at 67.00 to win Wimbledon.
Don't forget, all of the fantastic markets we have to offer, including In-Play betting, can be accessed on mobile or tablet with bet365 On The Move.
View all Tennis betting